Your Business Matters A Skilled Attorney Can Help You Protect It Schedule a Free Consultation

City Refuses to Renew Waste Management Contract with Austin Energy

The Law Office of C. William Smalling, P.C. Dec. 28, 2015

What Will Austin Energy Do with Their Non-Hazardous Industrial Waste?

Businesses create an enormous amount of hazardous and non-hazardous waste.  Due to the mass amount of garbage they produce, we expect large companies to follow strict rules and regulations when it comes to disposing their waste.  Now, a large Texas company will not have to change the way they dispose of their non-hazardous waste.

Since 2013, the City of Austin has contracted with Republic Services to allow the dumping of waste generated by Austin Energy in the cities landfills.  There are two landfills in the Austin area, Republic landfill and Waste Management landfill, which have been operating for decades and have been the subject of concern for over 20 years.  Although Republic landfill was closed as of November 1, 2015, the Waste Management landfill is still in operation and allegedly contains a huge amount of hazardous waste. 

Recently the Austin City Council voted against extending the contract with Republic Services relating to dumping in these landfills.  One council member, Ora Houston, expressed agreement with the decision and her concern about the disposal of waste inside the cities already polluted landfills. 

Now Republic Services and Austin Energy have a problem.  What will they do with their non-hazardous waste, which includes contaminated soil, asbestos and wooden utility poles covered in creosote.  They considered dumping in San Antonio but decided against it due to the environmental implications of hauling the waste there.  Executives of Austin Energy are concerned about what will happen if they are unable to dispose of their waste.

If you are in the Houston, Texas area and have a legal problem relating to environmental law or oil and gas rights, the attorneys at The Law Office of C. William Smalling can help.  Contact us by calling for a consultation today.